Saturday, August 28, 2010

Some quotes that help me...& maybe you too?

Liz is in India and runs into a man named Richard, who helps her understand why she feels so lost and broken-down. Liz, who had felt more whole after her visit to Italy, is experiencing upcoming memories again of her and David, a man who she believes she loves and helped her move on during her divorce with her husband. These memories are causing her pain, she becomes hateful, angry, and self-loathing that she feels that she is moving backwards again, instead of the healing she is suppose to be experiencing. Richard helps her understand why:

"You're wishing too much, baby. You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughtta be." -Page 150

Though this quote did give her the first laugh of the day, both she and I believe in what it means. Sometimes you have to just let go, you can't control everything and if you experience something negative, then just use your backbone and strengthen up, but also let it go, cause you're not meant or built to feel such a way.

Another important quote is when Liz explains to readers why letting go is so difficult for some and easy for others:

"Letting go, of course, is a scary enterprise for those of us who believe that the world revolves only because it has a handle on the top of it which we personally turn, and that if we were to drop this handle for even a moment, well-that would be the end of the universe. But try dropping it, Groceries. (Groceries is a nickname given by Richard to Liz, in reference by how much food he witnessed that she can consume) This is the message I am getting. Sit quietly for now and cease your relentless participation. Watch what happens. The birds do not crash dead out of the sky in mid-flight, after all. The trees do not wither and die, the rivers do not run red with blood. Life continues to go on. Even the Italian post office will keep limping along, doing its own thing without you-why are you so sure that your micromanagement of every moment in this whole world is so essential? Why don't you let it be?" -Page 155-156

And I agree. Sometimes I can be so wound up, so frustrated and angry during certain parts of my life because of a negative thing that had happened. I should learn how to let it go because I can tell that it's not good for my health, happiness, and just life in general. I always somehow felt that if I did feel angry or guilty about something, it means that I care, that somehow I can control the outcome of it, rather than not letting it affect me. However, the truth is, is that sometimes there are things we cannot control, and even if there is a negative that happens, I have to always remember that it will not be a part of my life, if I don't let it, which may seem like me gaining control again, but it's more on towards leaning the letting go part.

No comments:

Post a Comment