Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Next Step

After a few months of not posting any blogs, one might think that I was using the time to figure out my career path...I know...I know, I am so indecisive, but I finally decided...I believe, oh god. Ok so here is what is going to happen...

I have been researching the career path for finance majors and I came across the career of a financial adviser. The whole nature of helping others reach their lifestyle goals, really appealed to me. Not only do I get to help those who really need it, I get to do so by applying my interest in business and finance. I have always enjoyed helping others, but I disliked the feeling of helping those who don't deserve it or those who try to take advantage it, it really just makes me feel as if it kills the whole purpose. By being a financial adviser I get to help those who have a clear goal in their life and I would know that they truly deserve the help because the usual clients are those who worked their whole lives and are now looking for a retirement plan. Whether the plan is to have a beach house or a lengthy vacation in a foreign country, the fact that I can help them plan really motivates me. To be able to say "Yes, you can buy that dream beach house now" or "Yes, you can take that vacation that you worked so hard for" and to see the look of joy and relief in their faces would really make me happy and feel as if I am doing some good in this world.

But of course, with every great career comes with obstacles you must pass first before you can achieve it *sigh. The usual requirement to be a registered financial adviser is to pass a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) exam or a Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) exam, after of course getting your bachelor's degree and possibly Master's. There is also a chance for the need to have 3 years of work experience in a related field prior to taking the test. So yes, the journey can be long, but I believe it will be worth it in the end. It will also motivate me to study even harder for classes now and even become a better person by developing better study habits or even a better attitude when it comes to deadlines and high-stress situations.

Don't think that all I am going to do from now til then, is just studying away. No. I think that it will be a good idea to pursue other interests as well, not that I think that I might fail, but if there is a slight possibility that it might not work out or that the career doesn't seem to be what I thought it was, at least I have other options I can turn to. The most amazing idea would be to be able to open and start my own business doing whatever hobby I love. I always loved writing, but I think while I will try to write a great fantasy novel, I will love to learn how to design clothing as well. I know it seems like a long shot, but just hobby-wise I think it would be useful to know how to sew buttons or create stitch designs on fabric. It could help save me money, when the shirt I bought passed by with a missing button or a hole in an unsightly area. But it will also help me learn something useful. And depending on how far I get into it, who knows maybe I can sell some clothing online and make a bit of money from there. So yes, I will doing those hobbies while in the meantime, I study my major finance with, did I mention, minors in creative writing and economics?

1 comment:

  1. it's like i am reading your mind well your blog anyways muhaha

    ReplyDelete