There's a reason why I have trouble keeping diaries. One is that there are times when I can't find the time to write or to write as well as I would want to. The other reason is privacy. Sure, diaries are suppose to be a private place where you can express your thoughts and feelings of the day all out, but will it actually be safe? Will no one actually read it?
And the biggest reason is the one I hate to admit. When you start writing about events that happened during the day, you tend to take a certain approach in writing in that your perspective and opinions have to be clearly stated. What you think is automatically written and read as fact through your diary entry. In other words as much as it is interesting to have someone read your entry and see the world through your eyes, you as the writer become in danger of putting yourself in a bubble in which only your thoughts and opinion matters. You would fail to take other people's considerations into the mix and you lock yourself away in to what you think is right and what something is suppose to be. To put it simply, you are encouraging yourself to be closed-minded.
...Now, this might not be true. The argument to this can be by that keeping your own opinions hidden, you will never be able to have your own independent voice and I agree with that too.
But, you tend to realize that when you write what happened that day, everything you write down is written in a certain way that will most likely never be exactly the way you experienced them, it will be subjected to changes and alternations. Most of these changes will be made by your own perspective of the situation.
That's why when I write down an event that happened in my life that I want to record and remember, I hate the fact that what I write down will almost never come out and be read exactly as I had wanted and as I had experienced. Instead, if I had the most wonderful day of my life, when I write it down, it won't sound as amazing. If I had the most miserable day of my life, it won't sound as horrible to some people. (Hopefully, this makes sense)
But, this happens in every piece of writing, no matter how well the author is and it happens in everyday life as different people perceive things in different ways all the time.
So, as while this blog post may seem pointless, I think I am going to keep journals for now, not diaries.
No comments:
Post a Comment