Summer is here and I am on my way to reaching the place where I want to be. Ever since the school semester ended, my parents have been pushing me to find a job because they thought that it was too late already and they don't want me to send the summer wasting away. Well I guess I have to agree with them on the latter part. There are actually still a lot of jobs/internships available for students if you really look for them. Unfortunately you just kind of have to apply to a large variety of places because often times about half won't even get back to you or respond, which is understandable for internships because there tends to be a large amount of applicants and they cannot email each and every person that applies to them. So anyways to the main point now, I went for my internship/job interview today.
I am proud to say that I have dealt with this process much better than I have in the past. I wasn't so nervous, I tried to stay positive and calm and take each thing one step at a time. I have to say it paid off, I am glad I went because the night before I was considering emailing the supervisor that contacted me that I have decided not to go to the interview because the job description does not match what I desire in an internship or I was worried about the number of hours I would have to work would be too much for me. But in the end, I'm glad I thought it out that I should at least take the opportunity to interview and see if the job is a match for me.
I have been reading about the interview process the past two days and I agree with the fact that an interview is a position to see if the job is a match for both you and the employee. It is more of a way for you to get to know about the job more and what you would have to do there. I have to say that preparing beforehand does help. Maybe you have an interview booklet from your school, or a career guide book or maybe you can just search online to review the common questions that are usually asked during an interview and then write down a answer to each of them to get a feel of what you would say. It definitely is kind of sudden to get a question and your trying to think of an answer while you are speaking, the proper way is to think about the question and try to formulate an answer in your head before you speak, which is something that I need to practice more on. I feel that sometimes you are required to answer quickly otherwise it looks like you don't know the answer to a question, but often times this just leads to me say "umm...yeah..." and stuff like that a lot, which if you look at an interviewer's face it is not exactly very professional, but it is ok, if it just happens to slip, then there's nothing you can do about it, so just move on. An interview is kind of just like a conversation, so try to keep it flowing. There is nothing to be afraid of because 1) usually the interviewer is a human resource member or someone who always does the hiring and interviewing most of the time for the company, so they tend to be pretty nice people and know how to deal with people in all kinds of situations, 2) if it doesn't work out then there are plenty of other places to go to, so don't put so much pressure on yourself to HAVE to get this no matter what situation because honestly is it really that "life or death situation", 3) from what my dad told me "it's better sometimes not to think so much about something and just take it easy, otherwise you are going to scare yourself out."
Anyways now that I have the internship, my next step is to make sure that I do well in it and get use to the whole process. I definitely have to work on my social skills, so hopefully this would be a good experience to have.
My next goal is to get DIY (Do It Yourself) Handmade Jewelery Books to try to make it as my hobby. Then to read books, lots of books and build up my vocabulary.
Hopefully it all works out, I want to have a good summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment